Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am not my thoughts. I am not my feelings. Yay!

I went to see this wonderful homeopathic doctor tonight. I'm so glad I did. This is something that I've wanted to do for some time and a minor health issue pushed me to take the plunge sooner rather than later. As he was examining and treating me He said one thing that totally blew my mind:

"You are not your thoughts. You are not your feelings."

I glanced up from where I was laying on the table, a magnetic plate on my chest. "Then what are you?" I asked.
I actually couldn't get past the idea that you could actually exist apart from those two things: thoughts. Feelings. Thoughts. Feelings. The only two things that drive me. I go from one to the other so many times a day it's crazy. (60,000 times a day, the doctor confirmed for me. Everyone does. 60,000 thoughts and feelings every day.)

So he said, "Think about it."

I did. What can I be if I'm not my thoughts and feelings? "I'm not my...body?" That didn't seem terribly holistic to me.

"No, not your body."

"My...OH! My SPIRIT!!! Right?"

"Exactly."

This was heartening. Liberating, even. Then the good doctor said,
"We have two bodies. The finite body, which is our human form, which HAS thoughts, HAS feelings. But then there's the infinite form. That's energy. That can transform, go anywhere. Once you realize that your thoughts and feelings are separate from you, from your true essence, your spirit, then you are free."

Indeed.

No comments: